The Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship is a vital initiative in India, aiming to challenge the prevailing perception of girl children as liabilities or burdens. Unfortunately, many girls are confined to their homes, missing out on educational opportunities due to the fear of exploitation and early marriage. Early education holds the potential to transform society and foster progress.
To address this critical issue, the University Grants Commission (UGC) introduced the Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship for post-graduate programs. This scholarship provides financial assistance of INR 36,200 per year to a single girl from a family pursuing post-graduate studies. To qualify for this scholarship, the applicant must be under 30 years of age.
Vist Now: medhasoft.bih.nic.in Scholarship 2023
What is Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship
The Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship is a notable scholarship program in India designed to empower and support single girl children pursuing higher education. In a society where girl children are often perceived as liabilities or burdens, this scholarship aims to challenge such stereotypes and promote their education.
Administered by the University Grants Commission (UGC), the scholarship offers financial aid of INR 36,200 per year to single girls from families who are pursuing post-graduate programs. The support provided by this scholarship helps these young women overcome financial constraints and access quality education, thereby contributing to their personal growth and the advancement of society as a whole.
One key eligibility criterion for the scholarship is that the applicant must be under 30 years old. By providing this financial assistance, the Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship not only empowers single girls to pursue higher education but also recognizes their potential as agents of positive change in Indian society, breaking the cycle of early marriage and limited opportunities that many face. This scholarship stands as a beacon of hope and progress, promoting gender equality and education for all.
About Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship
The Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship, an undergraduate scholarship initiative, is dedicated to empowering the nation’s female youth to pursue a high-quality education. It offers a financial incentive of Rs. 36,200 to eligible candidates pursuing a non-professional post-graduate degree for a duration of two years.
The application process for this scholarship is exclusively conducted online, with the deadline for registration set for January 17, 2023.
It’s important to note that the renewal of the Indira Gandhi scholarship for single girl children for subsequent academic years hinges on the scholar’s academic performance.
Please be aware that the UGC (University Grants Commission) does not extend additional financial support for healthcare or housing expenses. Scholars receive their awards through the UGC-designated agency, commencing from their enrollment in the first year of the post-graduate program.
To ensure a smooth disbursement process, the designated agency must be provided with a copy of the award letter and the recipient’s joining report, along with their contact information including name, address, and phone number.
Vist Now: Byju’s IAS Scholarship Test 2023
Key Highlights of Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship
|University Grants Commission (UGC)
|Name of Scholarship
|Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship
|To give money to UGC single girl child scholarship
|Every year, the single-girl kid will receive 3,000 monthly for 2 years.
|Single Girl child
|Indira Gandhi Scholarship Amount
|Last Date for Registration
|January 17, 2023
Postgraduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship Eligibility
To be eligible for the Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship program, the candidate must meet the following criteria:
- The candidate must be an Indian national.
- This program is exclusively available to families with a single girl child. However, candidates who have twins or fraternal girl children are also eligible.
- The applicant’s age should not exceed 30 years.
- The applicant should be enrolled as a first-year student in a postgraduate course.
- The applicant must be enrolled in regular classes at an accredited university while pursuing a non-professional course.
- If a family has both a son and a daughter, the girl child will be ineligible for the Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship program.
- The candidate should not be a recipient of the PG Merit Scholarship for University Rank Holder.
Objective of Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship
The Indian government introduced the “Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship 2023” program with the aim of providing financial support to a single female child pursuing postgraduate studies. This initiative seeks to promote and empower female education while also fostering a shift in societal and parental attitudes, encouraging families to wholeheartedly support their daughters in pursuing their educational aspirations. The scholarship is designed to cover the educational expenses of eligible applicants who are enrolled in non-professional postgraduate courses. Additionally, this initiative is envisioned to raise awareness among Indian citizens about the significance of maintaining small family sizes.
Benefits of Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship
The University Grants Commission (UGC) will provide eligible applicants with an annual scholarship of Rs. 36,200 to cover the tuition fees for their 2-year postgraduate course. This financial assistance will be disbursed in the form of a monthly allowance of Rs. 3,100, which will be directly transferred to the selected candidate’s bank account through the Direct Bank Transfer (DBT) system. It’s important to note that this scholarship exclusively covers the tuition fees and does not include any additional expenses, such as hostel accommodation or medical prescriptions. The scholarship amount will commence from the date of enrollment in the educational institution.
Features of Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship
- The scholarship program offers a monthly stipend of Rs. 36,200 to eligible recipients.
- This initiative fully covers the expenses of a two-year non-professional postgraduate program.
- A total of 3000 scholarships will be awarded to deserving candidates.
- Applicants have the opportunity to apply for additional scholarships while already benefiting from the Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship, as it operates on an incentive-based system.
- The scholarship funds will be disbursed through a direct bank transfer to the bank account of the eligible candidate, who must be a single parent with a girl child.
- No scholarship extensions will be granted after the completion of two years of study.
- It’s important to note that this scholarship does not include the reimbursement of tuition fees. However, it is expected that the educational institutions will support the candidates by waiving the tuition fees.
- The program does not cover lodging fees, medical expenses, or any other miscellaneous expenditures. Recipients will only receive the aforementioned stipend.
- This award is not available for applicants pursuing distance learning programs.
- Scholarship renewal is contingent upon the recipient’s continued eligibility and the successful renewal application.
How to Apply for the PG Indira Gandhi Scholarship
Interested candidates must ensure that they submit their scholarship applications before the specified deadline. Only those who have completed the online registration for the Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship will be considered for evaluation and, if they meet the eligibility criteria, awarded the scholarship.
To get started, please follow these steps:
- Visit the official website of the National Scholarship Portal at scholarships.gov.in. This portal serves as a universal application platform for various government scholarships.
- If you’ve already registered, log in by selecting “Login to Apply.” If you’re a new user, begin by registering on the portal by completing the registration form located under “New Registration.”
- In the registration form, you will be prompted to select the academic year. Choose “Fresh 2023.”
- Enter your Login ID and Password, which are also referred to as your Login Credentials.
- Type in the case-sensitive captcha code provided after reading it carefully.
- Click the “Login” button to access your user dashboard.
- Navigate to the “Apply for Scholarship” section and click on it to start the scholarship application.
- Choose “Incentive” for the scheme type and “Post-matriculation” for the scholarship category.
- Ensure you complete all the fields marked with an asterisk (*).
- Upload the required documents in the specified format and size.
- Before submitting your application, carefully review it. Once an application has been successfully submitted, you won’t be able to make any amendments or changes.
- Finally, click the “Submit” button to send your scholarship application.
Applicants interested in the Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship must ensure that they submit their application forms and required documentation by the specified deadlines. The key dates for the Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Children are as follows:
- Application Deadline: January 17, 2023
- Date of Defect Verification: January 31, 2023
- Date of Institution Verification: January 31, 2023
When submitting applications for the Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship, interested individuals must provide the following information and documents:
- Income Certificate and Caste Certificate: These certificates are required for all students.
- Admission Documentation: Proof of admission into the postgraduate course is necessary.
- Bank Account Information: Details of both the institution’s and the student’s bank accounts must be provided for the direct transfer of scholarship funds.
- Fee Structure: Applicants should include information about the program’s fee structure.
- Passport-Size Photo and Signature: One copy of the student’s passport-size photo and their signature.
- Student ID Card: A copy of the student’s ID card.
- 50-Stamp Paper Document: A notarized declaration from the girl’s parents stating that she is the only child in the household. This document should be duly attested by a First Class Magistrate, Gazetted Officer, or Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM).
Steps for Login under the New Application
Prospective applicants should begin by accessing the Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship website. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you with the application process:
- Go to the Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship website by entering the URL in your web browser.
- The homepage of the website will be displayed.
- On the homepage, look for and select the “Login for New Application” option from the menu.
- This action will direct you to the fresh application login form.
- Enter your username and password in the respective fields on the login form.
- Once you’ve entered your credentials, click the “Login” button.
Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship – Application Period
The single-girl child scholarship, while varying in its annual announcement date, typically opens its application season in July. The deadline for submitting applications for this scholarship usually falls in the last week of either January or October. For the academic year 2022–2023, the application deadline was October 31, 2022.
Applicants should stay updated with the specific announcement dates and deadlines each year to ensure they apply in a timely manner and meet all the necessary requirements for this scholarship.
Renewal of the Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girls
- Start by opening the official website of the Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship.
- The homepage of the website will be visible.
- From the menu on the homepage, select “New Registration.”
- This action will redirect you to a new page.
- On the new page, select “Apply for Renewal” from the menu.
- You will now be presented with a login form for the renewal process.
- Log in using the provided login information.
- After successfully logging in, the renewal form will appear.
- Complete the renewal form by entering the required information.
- Double-check all the details for accuracy.
- Finally, click the “Submit” button to send your renewal information.
Steps to check the Status of Complaints
To check the status of a complaint on the National Scholarship Portal, please follow these steps:
- Begin by visiting the official website of the National Scholarship Portal.
- The portal’s homepage will be displayed.
- On the homepage, look for and select “Complaint Status” from the menu.
- This action will take you to a new page specifically for checking complaint status.
- On this new page, you will be prompted to enter the captcha code and your application number.
- After entering this information, double-check to ensure accuracy.
- Once you’ve entered the required details, select “See Complaint Status” from the menu.
Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship 2023 – Terms and Conditions
Candidates aiming to benefit from the UGC scholarship for single girl children must adhere to several terms and conditions.
Here are the key rules and regulations associated with this scholarship:
- Eligibility for 1st Year PG Course: Only candidates who are in the first year of a postgraduate (PG) course are eligible for this UGC scholarship.
- No Additional Grants: Recipients of this scholarship are not entitled to receive any additional grants for expenses such as hostel charges or medical fees.
- No Tuition Fee: Host institutes, under this single girl child scholarship, do not charge tuition fees from the awardees.
- Submission of Progress Report: After completing one year of receiving the scholarship, candidates must submit their Progress Report in the prescribed format to the designated bank (Canara Bank). This report should be duly signed by the Head of the Department and Registrar of the University, Head of the Institution, or Principal of the College. The fund for the next academic year is released based on this report.
- Refund in Case of Discontinuation: If candidates discontinue their studies without prior notice to the UGC, they are required to refund the entire scholarship amount through e-mode (RTGS/NEFT) directly to the UGC account.
- Acceptance of Other Scholarships: Awardees of this scholarship are not prohibited from accepting other scholarships alongside it.
- Scholarship Termination: The scholarship may be terminated if candidates engage in any kind of misconduct, provide incorrect information at any stage of the application process, or fail to achieve the specified academic performance, which is typically a score of less than 55% in the 1st year (50% in the case of Physically Challenged awardees).
- Email ID – sosa3ugc@scholarshipknowledge
FAQs – Indira Gandhi Scholarship
1. What is the Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship?
The Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship is a government scholarship program in India that offers financial support to single girl children pursuing higher education.
2. Who is eligible for this scholarship?
Single girl children who are pursuing postgraduate (PG) courses and are the only child in their family are eligible for this scholarship.
3. How can I apply for the Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship?
To apply, visit the National Scholarship Portal’s official website, complete the registration process, and submit the required documents and information as per the guidelines.
4. Is there an age limit for applicants?
There is no specific age limit mentioned in the eligibility criteria. However, candidates must be in the first year of their PG course.
5. What documents do I need to submit with my application?
You typically need to provide documents such as academic certificates, income certificate, an affidavit stating you’re the single girl child, and other relevant documents. The exact requirements may vary, so check the latest guidelines.
6. Is there an income limit to apply for this scholarship?
Yes, there is an income limit for the family’s annual income. The income threshold is usually mentioned in the scholarship guidelines and may change from year to year.
7. How is the scholarship amount disbursed?
The scholarship amount is usually disbursed directly to the candidate’s bank account through the designated bank (Canara Bank). The disbursement process may vary, so refer to the latest information.
8. Can I apply for other scholarships alongside this one?
Awardees of this scholarship are generally not debarred from accepting other scholarships. However, it’s advisable to check the specific scholarship’s guidelines to ensure compatibility.
9. What are the rules for scholarship renewal?
Typically, you must maintain a minimum academic performance to renew the scholarship, and you need to submit a Progress Report. The rules for renewal may change, so consult the latest guidelines.
10. How can I check the status of my scholarship application?
You can check the status of your scholarship application by visiting the National Scholarship Portal’s official website and selecting the relevant option to track your application status.
The Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship is a vital initiative that empowers single girl children pursuing postgraduate education in India. By providing financial assistance, it promotes gender equality and education. Eligible applicants must meet specific criteria, including being the sole child in their family and maintaining academic performance.
The scholarship is typically disbursed through the designated bank, Canara Bank, and renewal requires meeting certain conditions. It not only eases the financial burden on families but also encourages higher education and self-reliance among single girl children. The scholarship plays a significant role in supporting the educational aspirations of young women in India.